|Season 1, Episode 5|
|Air date||February 2, 2009|
|Written by||Daegan Fryklind|
|Directed by||Kelly Makin|
|Viewers||Canada - 665,000 , The Netherlands - 309,000|
|Opening||"Being Erica theme" by Lily Frost|
The Secret of Now
Tired of being treated like a child, Erica confronts the source of her reputation by being sent back to her bat mitzvah – only this time she will prove herself as a woman.
- "When you're a kid, being grown up looks so easy. Nobody tells you it's harder than it looks. That these feelings that you have, that you don't measure up, that you're not keeping pace, they never go away. What do you do if you feel like the only kid in a room full of adults? Well, the only thing you can do. You smile, you step up, and you try your best to fit in."
Erica and some other friends, Alyson and Marie, accompany Judith buying some stuff in a baby store. Judith is pregnant and they will have a baby shower party in Erica's place later. Erica also secretly buys a high chair for a present after mistakenly thought that she'll be a godmother for Judith's baby.
Later in the party, she finds out that Judith actually chose Alyson and Marie to be the godmothers. Seeing Erica gets upset, Jenny pull Erica out of the party. And then they go to a club, drinking and singing. Unfortunately Josh, who's meeting his friend Ryan, is in the same club. He tells Sam, who's in the baby shower party, which ends up in Judith also finds out about the truth. the situation gets messy.
Next, Erica is in Dr. Tom's office. The assisment this time is the bat mitzvah, basically a Jewish ceremony marking a 12 years old girl (13 years old for a boy) entering her adultness.
Back then, Erica ran away from the ceremony after being humiliated by Cody Maxwell.
Dr. Tom sends her back to the ceremony. This time Erica could successfully talk back against Code Waxwell. After that she had a chat with her mother, Barbara. Barbara told Erica all of her expectation for Erica in the future which made Erica down since that's not how it goes in Erica's proper time.
And then she met Dr. Tom who told her to just be who she really is and move on. Erica returned to the ceremony but the band had packed their stuff. Erica took initiative and jammed with Leo, saved the ceremony from being over so soon.
Back to her proper time, Erica runs to her place trying to apologize to Judith. After trying several times, Judith forgives her. After that Ryan visit Erica in her place.
"There comes a point when you realize truth is this: being grown up is simply knowing who you are and having the courage to be that person. Worth and all."
First appearance of Ryan.
List of Quotes Dr.Tom mentioned in the Episode:
- Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. (Winston Churchill)
- No party is any fun unless seasoned with folly. (Desiderius Erasmus)
- Learn to... be what you are, and learn to resign with a good grace all that you are not. (Henri Frederic Amiel)
- It takes a lot of courage to grow up and be who you really are. (E.E. Cummings)